Friday, June 28, 2013

Manhattan, Staten Island and Brooklyn oh my!!!

My brother took a few vacation days and decided to spend them with us in the city before we move to CT.  It was super hot while he was here but we decided to forge ahead and sight see and do stuff around the city.

One of those days we hit 3 out of the 5 boroughs.  Manhattan of course, then we took the subway down to walk around Battery Park and took the Staten Island ferry to get great views of the Statue of Liberty and Lower Manhattan.  We hopped off the ferry and hopped right back on to the walk to the South Street Seaport and enjoy some lunch and views of the Brooklyn Bridge and East River.

After lunch we walked to the Court House and continued to the beginning of the Brooklyn Bridge.  We were standing there in the scorching hot sun, sweating, deciding if we should go for it and walk the 1.1 miles across or just succumb to the 95 degree heat and go home.....so we went for it.  It's something I've been wanting to do since we moved here and I knew if we didn't do it while we were right there and had the opportunity that I'd regret not doing it.

It was awesome!  Lots of great views....and it was breezy over the water.  Much cooler than standing in the middle of the concrete jungle.

After walking across we stopped for some fresh ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, and the kids finally got to ride on Jane's Carousel!  They loved it and after we let them run around the open green space before hoping on the East River Ferry to high tail it back home for a late dinner.

A very busy but fun and exhilarating day!  Now....the only hiccup was that I forgot my camera and my phone....so I've had to rely on pictures my brother took!

The walk begins.



Views from the Brooklyn Bridge.



Mikey was not into getting his picture taken or sitting in the stroller or walking...so I carried him the majority of the way.




View of the East River and Hudson River meeting.


Free cold water straight from the tap in Brooklyn.


It was finally open!





East River Ferry ride with Matt.












No comments:

Post a Comment