Friday, February 8, 2013

Preschool Headache

Navigating through the preschool process here in NYC has been quite the experience for me thus far.  I'm looking at no fewer than 6 different schools for this coming year.  Yes, registration for Pre-K and/or enrichment programs and/or preschool alternatives start in March and I'm finding that some started all the way back in September of last year.  It's completely crazy!

We have so many factors to consider when choosing a school that it's overwhelming:  Private vs. public, how many days a week, full day vs. half day, do their hours fit into our schedule, would I be able to pick him up and drop him off and not have it interfere with when I'd have to pick up and drop off Katie, how close is it to us, would I be able to walk, or have to take a bus, how much does it cost, do I LIKE the school, how many openings do they have, etc.

So each of the schools I'm looking at meet different criteria and some have a hefty registration fee and some you have to pay tuition when you register (yikes) and some have a substantial drop fee if we got accepted and had to cancel for whatever reason, some schools have to evaluate your child first, and some even make you wait until June to tell you if they accepted you child; just to name a few. It's all making my head spin.

Oh and of course I forgot to mention that a few of these school require a scheduled group tour or private tour before they even hand out registration papers, so fitting that into our everyday schedule has been challenging.  But alas, I think we'll find something....I just wish I knew what that something was.  I mean this is just preschool!!!

I'm learning as I go through these tours and hear everyone talk about how great and wonderful their school is that there are really only a few basic things on my list of what I actually want out of a school.  I don't care about which students went on to which elite school on a full scholarship, I don't care how selective they and why they think they are the creme de la creme...I just want a school that has a warm environment, loving and dedicated teachers who make my 4 year old feel special and who is his happy self when I pick him up, that's not too much to ask is it?

My Sunday morning,  preschool navigation project.

No comments:

Post a Comment